Update: I don’t recommend you to buy OWP from Hostgator at this moment, as they don’t offer FTP access. This will limit the functionality of WordPress & you can’t use WordPress to it’s full-power.
Are you planning to move your WordPress site from Hostgator shared hosting to their newly launched optimised WordPress hosting?
In my earlier post, I shared the complete detail about Hostgator WordPress optimized hosting (OWP). Their WordPress hosting is going to ease out your pain of CPU resource usage warning, 500 internal server errors or other similar errors which you get on their shared hosting plan. Their OWP is using Varnish + Nginx technology & offers server level caching. For now, if you need complete peace of mind, you should move your WordPress blog from their shared hosting plan to optimized WordPress hosting. In this tutorial I will share:
- How you can add their WordPress hosting package into your Hostgator account
- How to move your WordPress site from shared hosting to OWP
- How to transfer your fund from shared hosting to WordPress hosting (if you decide to close your shared hosting)
Steps to migrate your WordPress blog from Hostgator shared to WordPress hosting:
- Purchase anyone package of Hostgator WordPress hosting from here.
- Use the same email address under which you have a Hostgator shared hosting account, to signup.
- Login to your Hostgator portal here.
- Create a ticket & request to migrate your WordPress blog from shared hosting to newly purchased OWP.
- You can also use their migration form here to place the request. Right now they don’t have OWP in the drop-down list & it will be added soon. But, you can place the migration request from Hostgator transfer form & their migration time will do the migration for you.
- After migration is complete, update the name servers to point from shared to OWP
- Allow up to 24-48 hours for DNS propagation
- After they’ve made sure that everything is transferred properly and that they don’t need their old account, you can fill out the cancellation form here.
- On the cancellation form you can add that you’ve upgraded to Optimised WordPress hosting and that you’d like to have a prorated refund applied as a credit to the account.
- This will get their unused time from the shared package essentially applied to OWP.
The process is pretty simple, and moreover you don’t need to lose your pre-paid fund. If you have a growing WordPress blog on Hostgator shared hosting, I recommend you to make this upgrade. Not only your WordPress blog will be faster, you will have complete peace of mind. Do you know their OWP hosting uses the Cloud technology?
Important thing to know:
If you are migrating your existing WordPress site to OWP, you might be little disappointed at this moment. Hostgator migration team can’t migrate premium plugins or themes you are using.
Considering this scenario, I would suggest not to migrate your existing WordPress site to Hostgator OWP if you using Premium plugins or theme. Though it’s good to use their OWP for launching new WordPress blog. After all, you don’t have to deal with hosting issues.
Feel free to ask me if you have any question regarding migrating your shared hosting package to WordPress hosting package? Are you going to migrate? If you have already done, I would like to know the steps you have taken & how was your experience?
Latest posts by Harsh Agrawal (see all)
- How To Point Domain Name From GoDaddy To Hostgator - January 2, 2018
- How To Add Addon Domain To Hostgator Hosting - January 1, 2018
- Hostgator Baby Plan vs. Business Plan – Which Is Best For You? - January 1, 2018