Do you want to host multiple websites on your Hostgator account? If yes, read on this guide to add your add-on domain.
One of the good feature of Hostgator hosting is, it let you host multiple domains or websites. This feature is available on all plans except hatchling plan. Many new bloggers or first-time hosting buyer are not aware of this feature, and they end up buying new hosting for their new website. This cost money & one need to manage another hosting, which is again an additional work.
With Hostgator, You can add all your domains as Addon domain and can either simply park them or install WordPress blog or other CMS. In this guide, I will share exact steps you need to take to add an add-on domain to your account.
For this example, my domain is hosted at a 3rd party domain hosting site, and I have to do following things:
- Change my domain Nameserver to point to Hostgator account
- Add the domain as Add-on domain
The steps are simple, and here I will break down both the steps to make it easier. This tutorial will work with all domain registrar, and you need to know how to change domain name server. If you have never done it before, you can ask your domain company to update Nameserver for you.
How to Point Domain Name-Server to HostGator:
To update the nameserver of your domain, you first need to know your hosting Name-server. Unlike Bluehost where they have static Name-server, On Hostgator your name-server is correspondent to your hosting server. You don’t have to really get into the technicality of it, as I will show you how to find the nameserver of your Hostgator hosting.
In most of the cases, your welcome email from Hostgator contains your Nameserver details. If not, login to your Hostgator cPanel, and at the bottom left you will find your name server details.
Once you have the Nameserver, login to your domain manager. In my case domain is purchased from Godaddy, which is a low-cost domain hosting solution. After logging into my domain manager, I simply had to update the existing domain name-server with Hostgator one.
Once you have updated the name-server, it would take few minutes or hours for the nameserver to propagate on the internet. That can happen in the background, and we can add that domain as addon domain on the Hostgator panel.
Adding domain as Addon domain on Hostgator cPanel
Login back to your Hostgator account, and click on addon domains under domain category.
On the next page, you need to add domain details, and it will automatically create a FTP user for you.
Let me quickly explain all the field here:
- New Domain Name: This is where you will type your domain name (Ex: hgusers.com)
- Subdomain/FTP Username: This will auto-populate based on your domain name. You can edit or keep it as it is.
- Document Root: This will be by default /publc_html/domain.com which is the root location of your addon domain. All the files which you will upload on your new domain, will be hosted here.
- Password: Use password generator to create a strong password. You can share the FTP username and this password to your developer for uploading or creating your site.
Note: In upcoming posts, I will share how to install your blog on Hostgator.
Once you have added all the field, click on Add domain. You will see a confirmation page like this.
With this you have added the addon domain successfully to your account. You can use the same steps to add unlimited addon domains to your account, which Hostgator allows.
You can use this link & use coupon ” HGusers” to get 30% off on Hostgator hosting.
Latest posts by Harsh Agrawal (see all)
- How To Point Domain Name From GoDaddy To Hostgator - January 2, 2018
- How To Add Addon Domain To Hostgator Hosting - January 1, 2018
- Hostgator Baby Plan vs. Business Plan – Which Is Best For You? - January 1, 2018